STAVROS NIARCHOS FOUNDATION
364 Syggrou Avenue, Kallithea
+30 213 0885700
The Learning & Participation department of the GNO in collaboration with the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Athens are launching two Gamelan Orchestra workshops from January to April 2020. The aim of the workshop is to create the first Gamelan Orchestra in Greece and to introduce its members to the Gamelan music of Java and repertoire of contemporary classical music that uses Gamelan instruments.
In this workshop, Gamelan music tradition acquires a new form and style while offering an opportunity for the participants to learn traditional Indonesian music as well as a contemporary piece composed for Gamelan instruments by the composer and workshop leader, Andys Skordis.
The members of the orchestra will get in touch with the various instruments of a Gamelan orchestra and will get to know the particularities of the music in terms of form and rhythm. While setting Gamelan's musical tradition as a starting point and focusing on its social dimension, the coexistence of musicians and the element of communication will be the most important components of musical development.
The workshop will consist of two groups of 12 people each.
*Gamelan is Indonesia's traditional court music consisting of percussion instruments made of metal, wood or bamboo. The instruments that make up the orchestra are of various sizes ranging from huge gongs to small bells, creating a complete acoustic spectrum, similar to a classical orchestra.
In addition to the percussion instruments, a Gamelan orchestra often includes additional instruments such as: Kendang (wooden percussion), Rebap (string), Souling (bamboo drum), Gambag (xylophone), Zitter and voices. In each region of Indonesia where Gamelan was developed (Java, Bali, Sumatra, etc.), it evolved in a different way, approaching rhythm, tone, structure in a different and unique way.
January 25 & 26, 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm Group A | 12.30pm - 14.30pm Group B
February 15 & 16, 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm Group A | 12.30pm - 14.30pm Group B
February 22 & 23, 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm Group A | 12.30pm - 14.30pm Group B
March 21 & 22, 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm Group A | 12.30pm - 14.30pm Group B
March 28 & 29, 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm Group A | 12.30pm - 14.30pm Group B
April 28, 2020, 16.00pm – 20.00pm Group A & B
April 29, 2020, 19.00pm, Final Presentation at the GNO's Alternative Stage
GNO’s Learning & Participation Department invite amateur and professional musicians aged 18 years old and above to create two groups that will include musicians of various levels and various musical backgrounds (such as classical music, traditional, jazz, etc.).
Interested participants are kindly requested to complete and submit their online application form by January 21st, 2020, 17:00pm.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be given consideration.
Participants will be selected by the coordinator of the 'Gamelan Orchestra' Workshop in collaboration with the GNO's Learning & Participation Department.
The results of the open call process will be announced by January 23rd, 2020.
Terms and conditions
● Submission of interest does not guarantee your participation in the 'Gamelan Orchestra' workshops of the GNO’s Learning & Participation Department
● GNO’s Learning & Participation Department is not obliged to provide justification for the rejection of a request for participation
● GNO’s Learning & Participation Department will not use or distribute the material and content of the application forms
● Participation in the 'Gamelan Orchestra' workshops is free of charge and participants will not receive payment for their participation in the workshop
● Participation in the workshops requires the presence of participants throughout the program in the workshops and the final performance on the 29th of April
● Notification of acceptance or rejection of applications will be sent exclusively to each applicant through e-mail