In November 1995, the GNO Dance School began as the company’s ballet studio, providing free post-graduate tutelage in the art of dance with the aim of preparing young dancers to join the GNO Ballet. In 2004, the school became certified to provide higher education and came under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture, offering three-year tuition to graduates with a dance diploma or a diploma in teaching dance. The mission of the GNO School of Dance is to offer advanced education and orientation to talented artists who want to build a career in dance.
1. Is based on a philosophy of movement that strengthens students’ imaginations and creativity, and builds their skills on a technical and artistic level.
2. Helps towards understanding the techniques and artistic forms of expression of classical ballet and all other forms of dance related to it.
3. Encourages creativity and the ability to work together as a team.
4. Emphasises the learning and understanding of the history of dance and the arts of the stage, as well as their dynamic evolution.
5. Emphasises the learning and understanding of the applied and audiovisual arts, as well as the way in which these affect and enrich the aesthetic and the quality of the art of dance.
6. Encourages cultural and educational exchanges with other institutions on a local level as well as on a broader scale.
7. Helps students develop healthy and realistic expectations regarding their future in classical and contemporary dance.
8. Develops students’ critical skills.
9. Aims to give students a sound and clear perspective of the contemporary world and of their position within it.